The Lansing Historical Museum is a historically accurate restoration of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe depot built in Lansing in 1887. The Lansing Historical Museum houses a collection of artifacts, memorabilia and photographs covering three areas of Lansing's history:
The town of Lansing, including Delaware Township;
The local railways;
The Kansas State Penitentiary
In addition, the Museum hosts a rotating exhibit where guests can view artifacts from different periods of our City's past. For up-to-date Museum information, visit the Lansing Historical Museum.
The Lansing Depot
The Lansing Depot is a historically accurate restoration of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe depot built in lansing, originally located across from the intersection of Helen and Main St. The building is the only original public/commercial building standing, other than a small, turn-of-the-century bank, which remains in the once-prosperous downtown area. Built in 1887, the Lansing Depot was used by the railway through the middle of the 20th century. By 1989, the demolition of the Depot seemed unavoidable. Some enterprising Lansing citizens formed the Lansing Historical Society, whose main goal was to save the Depot from destruction. The Depot was given to the Lansing Historical Society with the stipulation that the Depot must be moved from its original site. The Lansing Correctional Facility offered a location on its grounds and the Depot has resided there since 1992.